The best-case scenario when writing a Travel Wish List is to already be checking off one of the destinations. For the first time in a couple years, I can say that this is exactly what I am doing right now! But my list is long, and the more places I check off, the more I seem to add. Such is the nature of wanderlust. To use a biological term, wanderlust is a positive feedback loop: the more I satisfy it, the more wanderlust I produce. It is this insatiable hunger to explore the world that keeps TwT going, so let’s dive right in and see where we’re all trying to go (at least geographically) this year…
Today, I am asking you to share your 2013 Travel Wish Lists. Please list, as a comment, up to 5 of your top destinations this year. Or, if you want, you can say where you went in 2012 and what was your favorite place.
Just to get everyone warmed up, I will begin:
1. MEXICO. Yes, I have been to Mexico before. In fact, the last time I was there, I spent a month traveling alone around the Pacific Coast as a co-author for a Frommer’s travel guidebook (which makes me feel pretty cool to say — did that really happen?! Check THIS out for proof – bam!). But life was so different then. Mexico was so different then. Needless to say, it’s time to go back. You’ll hear more about it all when I return… (YAY YAY YAY)
2. MOROCCO. This country never seems to leave my list, regrettably, because I haven’t gone yet. What’s a girl gotta do to get to Fez, Casablanca, and Marrakesh?! Every time I see photographs of Morocco, my heart skips a beat and my mouth starts watering. (This is a normal response, right?) Although it might be a wait, I already know this wait will be worth it.
3. NICARAGUA. More rugged than Costa Rica and less put-together and idyllic than many of its fellow Central American countries, Nicaragua is one of those up-and-coming travel destinations that is starting to enter the conversation just after everyone concludes that they’ve already been to Mexico, Costa Rica, and maybe Belize or Guatemala. For example: “blah blah blah…Where can we go that is not too expensive but feels exotic?… [looking at a map]… What about Nicaragua?…[ambiguous silence]… Are people going there these days?” Yes. Yes, they are. You just haven’t heard about those trips… YET.
4. COLOMBIA. Two of my friends from Ecuador recently did a trip to the Caribbean coast of Colombia, and the pictures were so beautiful that it physically hurt my heart. I felt immediate guilt for not taking that trip I ALMOST took when I moved home from Ecuador [my advice: don’t let yourself live with “trips you almost took” — GO every chance you get]. Google “Tayrona” or “Taganga” to find yourself in the same, painful predicament as me. Colombia is super hot right now (like, hip/popular/cool/trendy), but I’ll take it even when it gets lukewarm. I might even prefer it that way.
5. TANZANIA. I remember being in the third grade and hearing the word “Tanzania” for the first time. Even just the sound of it made me curious… My teacher talked about Tanzania with such passion. She showed us images of its people, its animals, its landscapes, and I think that might have been when and where all my wanderlust began. Since the third grade, I have been saying that I want to go to Tanzania. How and why is it that I am STILL saying this?! Tanzania — you and I will meet some day. And when that day comes, there will be fireworks between us. I can already tell. Be ready.
GREAT. There’s my list. Now it’s YOUR turn!! Cheers to at least some of these travel dreams coming true this year. Happy 2013, everyone!